21 Ways to Celebrate the New Year with Your Child
There are so many ways to celebrate the new year together as a family. With NYE around the corner, we thought to share some of our favorites…21 to be exact. Read below for 21 ways to countdown to 2021 with your little one. From all of us at Woodcrest Preschool, we wish you the happiest of celebrations! We’ll see you next year 🙂
Countdown to Fun…
- Fill bags with treats or activity ideas and label them with the hours until midnight.
- Make confetti poppers to use at midnight. Tutorial from Smashed Peas and Carrots.
- Cook something together. Make dinner together, or a snack or treat later on in the evening.
- Set some resolutions! Talk about what went well in 2020 and what goals everyone wants to set for this year.
- Make this super easy Emoji Magic 8-Ball and get the kids to ask all of their burning questions about the new year. You never know, it might have some insightful predictions into what 2019 holds.
- Play charades. Act out phrases having to do with the New Year
- Indoor camping. Set up a tent or build a fort then tell fun or scary stories.
- Photo scavenger hunt. Hide photos from the past year around the house and send the kids hunting for them.
- Bundle up and head outside for a little star gazing. See which constellations you can identify.
- Use pipe cleaners to write out the new year, then twist them onto headbands or sunglasses with the lenses popped out.
- If your Christmas tree is still up, re-decorate it as a New Year’s wish tree. Cut stars from construction paper and let kids (and adults) write down the things they wish and hope for this year
- Make glittery New Year’s Eve play dough. Get the recipe from Homegrown Friends.
- Hold family storytime. Have everyone bring their favorite book, then read them aloud together.
- Write a family bucket list for the coming year.
- Countdown the hours until midnight with balloons that get popped each hour. For extra fun, write the activity you’ll do that hour on a piece of paper and roll it up and tuck it in the balloon before filling.
- Make countdown clocks using paper plates. Get the tutorial at Buggy and Buddy.
- Put together a year-in-review slideshow using favorite pictures from the year. Cuddle up in pajamas to watch it together.
10, 9, 8….
18. Countdown to 2020 with Netflix. Netflix’s annual New Year’s Eve Countdown allows all subscribers to countdown to the new year with characters from programs like Pinky Malinky, Super Monsters, Boss Baby, and Motown Magic. Simply search the Countdowns tab on your Netflix account to get started.
19. Celebrate 2021 with another country! If your child is likely to fall asleep before the clock strikes midnight, choose a country that celebrates earlier. Set your clocks for the revised countdown. You can make a theme of it by making decorations and food from that country.
20.Make a family time capsule. Take items from throughout the year and bottle them up in a cute mason jar display for the shelf.
21. No matter how or when you choose to celebrate, have a safe and happy new year together at home.